Wednesday, February 22, 2006

http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Since my fellow Frayed Edges friends have been making amy butler bags, I decided to check out some of the patterns and saw this one:



This is called the Rural Messenger Bag. Has anyone ever tried it? It looks a little big, but since we're leaving for a week in Ireland in March I thought it might be a nice size to carry my journal, (since I'm so inspired now by Joanne and her journal pages) and other artsy things to play with. If anyone has any experience with this bag please pass it on. My first criteria is that it has to have directions that are PLAIN and SIMPLE! And can it be modified to be a little smaller? And who besides equilter carries these patterns? I can't tell you how cool it is to be able to put a question 'out there' and know I'll get an answer soon! The quilting community is a wonderful resource!

5 comments:

Joanne S said...

This bag looks very interesting. I haven't ever made one so no help here. I do know that most people make them and use fabric that is too lightweight and the bags look all wrong. The fabric pictured here is a heavy 40's 50's barkcloth. Textured and bold graphic of leaves and flowers. Think grandma's curtains or slipcovers. There is a fabric line carrying "new" barkcloth. Flea markets have curtain panels you could buy. The right fabric makes these bags. Especially if you plan to carry a journal, pencils, pens and some watercolors, digital camera, laptop, cell phone---have I forgotten anything?

You linked to my blog! You are so very clever!!!

Deborah Boschert said...

I haven't made it either, though I suspect Joanne's comments about fabric choice are exactly correct. Modify a pattern? Beyond me.

Elle said...

That's a pretty cool bag!

Joanne S said...

If you get the pattern we could share the cost and the problems ( if any) in making it. I think it's neat looking. Are those flaps extra pockets?? So I guess I'd like to make one too.

mathea said...

I have made two bags from Amy Butler patterns (Velma and Madison)and found them very good. Clear, almost too detailed, instructions... Give it a try, I'm sure you'll manage!