Friday, October 13, 2006

Free Day

When I woke up this morning, it was one of those glorious moments when you remember you have NOTHING you HAVE to do. So I decided to take myself on an artist's date and find some art. Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, Maine. Home of the Wyeth's. Rockland. Home to many incredible galleries. The Farnsworth is exhibiting at this moment Alex Katz, Louise Nevelson, Charlie Hewitt, N.C., Jamie, and Andrew Wyeth, and many other famous painters in their permanent collection. But I went to see Charlie Hewitt. He's a Maine guy who focuses on the abstract, taking a lot of his surroundings growing up in industrial Lewiston/Auburn and turning them into works of art. Chains. Church steeples. Factory smoke stacks. But I liked this piece:



What I liked about it, besides the fact that it was collage, digital images, machine stitched and hand painted, was this stray thread that looks like a circle, but it's really not.....made me think did he leave it on purpose? Or like me, always finding ONE MORE THREAD TO CUT!



This was beautiful; 61 8 by 10's laid out like a quilt:


These aren't the best photographs in the world. Remember I was in a museum where they frown on taking pictures. I felt so....undercover. This one though was taken at one of the many galleries on the main street...done by a woman named Kate Winn and called Blue Dinghy. It called to me. Water. Warm sand, curving away to somewhere else. I will remember this one in the cold of winter.



It was a good day. Good day.

No comments: