Saturday, October 21, 2006

Trip to Grand Manan or The Elements of Design

We've just returned from a weekend-cut-short-by-rain-trip to Grand Manan Island, which is 6 or so miles off the coast of Maine, but owned by Canada and so it's a 20 mile ferry trip from New Brunswick. Quiet, quaint, salmon raising, dulse harvesting capital of the world. And dead as a doornail in October. Perfect. We could have been the only tourists on the whole island. I took a lot of pictures which I'll share with you while combining them with my thoughts on Deborahs blog (see Oct. 16th) about her bag of scraps, and her clever use of them. So, here goes. My Elements of Design:

LINE



This is Swallowtail Lighthouse. A former bed and breakfast was housed in the house right next to it. For a dollar the government of Canada will rent it to you if you'll turn it into a viable business, say another B and B. Problem? When the foghorn blows all night it could be a little iffy as to whether you'd get any sleep.


REPETITION





TEXTURE



SHAPE



COLOR



BALANCE



This little boat on the back is for spreading the fishing net I'm told.

UNITY (or Variation on a Theme)



NEGATIVE SPACE



Hole In The Wall, a pretty spectacular spot to camp, if you like tenting.

CONTRAST, or just plain awesome!

8 comments:

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

What a great exercise

Joanne S said...

Nice way to use holiday pictures. I have GOT to start paying attention to the shapes around me!!!

Deb Geyer said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah Boschert said...

Genius! I love every single detail.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

I'm obviously behind...should I bring my Steven Aimone book on Design tomorrow? I'm still reading, but it's a good one... or did I have it when you were here last time????

Sue Seibert said...

Oh, wow, Kathy. Every time I read your blog I want to go back to Maine. Beautiful...all of it. I loved this exercise, as well. Glad you have a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Wow Kathy! What beautiful pictures! I want to go! I love peaking in on your blog - thanks for sharing. Sue

Anonymous said...

Kathy - your pictures blow me away!
Martha