Sunday, January 07, 2007

Another This and That

I got up early this morning because I couldn't sleep (5:15am). That's not unusual for one whose friends make fun of her because she goes to bed at 7:30. But I read! Well, for about ten minutes and then I fall asleep....anyway, my mind was full of things I wanted to blog about, books I've read, cleaning out my sewing room and digging up treasures (not), but I opened my email and found this:



These are little Lenten Roses from my sister Tricia's garden in western Massachusetts. 70 degrees yesterday. Denver has more snow than it knows what to do with and we have poor little flowers getting confused. I'm not complaining. I hate the cold and the mess most of the time, but I love Maine so you take the good with the bad. I probably will complain in the spring though, when my perennials don't make it.

So. Cleaning out my sewing room. I found projects never finished. Even in a very short time my style has changed so things I started last year, 6 months ago, will never see the light of day. What do you do with them? Back into the closet for awhile. Next time I clean they'll go out the door. Baby steps. Like the yards of upholstery fabric I've been saving for who knows what. This time they didn't make the cut. Gone. Feels good to purge. And it's no coincidence it happens at the beginning of a new year. Weight, physical surroundings, clean out, start new.

Books I've read:



Okay. I bought this book because I liked the cover. The colors and the image made me look twice, and made me wonder what was inside. I've never read any Jodi Picoult before so I don't know if this is her usual style or what. I can't say it was a happy read. Actually on so many levels, I found it disturbing. I think it's supposed to be about the father, Daniel, and his transformation from bad boy to the father who will do anything to protect his daughter. But I saw the moody 14 yr old, who lies to her parents, plays crazy sex games with her friends, gets herself and a boy involved in real life drama. Then there's the whiney mother. I don't know. I don't envy the things parents have to handle these days, but I still think, no matter what, with the right parent/child relationship, things don't have to get so far gone. And this book? By the end, unbelievably far.

4 comments:

Faith said...

I dont know if the other message got posted but Ill say again its great to meet you on here with the blogging..... I love your site and will put it down as one of my favourites

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm not sure I've adjusted to winter in TX either. Jodi Picoult's book "Plain Truth" is excellent. One of my favorites. I read one of her other books and thought it was a bit over the top. She has become very prolific and popular, but her books have become more formulaic and too dramatic. Go back for her earlier stuff.

gunnelsvensson said...

oh, I love this flower! In sweden we called it for Julros=christmasrose. i have one in a potter I bought in november. when the winter is over, I will put in into my garden and hope it will came back to me nest year!

Beate Knappe said...

from Jodi Picoult I read "Salem Falls" & The Plain Truth & Picture Perfect- o boy, so manny? Yes , but in german of course -and I like the books.