Thursday, August 02, 2007

Pamela Allen

What a thrill to be able to take a workshop with Pamela. My workshop was called "My Quilts, My Rules". My philosophy. Moving from the traditional quilter that I was to where I am now was not without major hurdles...LEAVING RAW EDGES??!! YEOW! NOT HAND QUILTED??! Mon Dieu! And now anything goes. Anything works. I worked on a piece I'm not ready to show yet...it needs to be developed just a little more before I put it out there. But soon.

We did a little "quiz" she called it, a small (4x6), fast work based on a fine art print she handed out to everyone. It was printed on blackout fabric, you know, the stuff that they line curtains with, and the instructions were to use this as the base and continue the design outward. Of course I have looked for my little piece and have no clue what I did with it, but I do have pictures of these sweet little birds, done by two different artists.

I'm sorry to say I don't know the names of the women who did these, but look how the subject was handled in each one. Put 24 people together and give them 6 different prints and see what happens. Pamela was very happy with the results. And what a great teacher she is. Despite the fact that our class was huge, she made every effort to be present to everyone and encouragement flowed. Joanne took the Friday and Sunday classes and has some interesting things to add if you want to check her out. It fits me to a 'T' to follow the words of Lucky Shie (Susan Shie), "You can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't fall apart!"

No comments: