Sunday, May 09, 2010

What's on my design wall:


After a visit to one of my favorite fabric shops, and after choosing a color palette outside my comfort zone, I decided I could use this time ( what I consider a quilting slump) to make a twin size bedcover for our new house. IF we ever get to build it. But that's another story. After I saw all these fabrics I thought about just cutting squares and stitching them together, but the more I looked at it the more it reminded me of one of my favorite children's book authors, Dahlov Ipcar. She's a Maine author and illustrator who is still painting every day as she heads further into her 80's. Here are just a few of her books:

I'm planning on 6 or 7 large squares with some sort of animal applique (machined), and the rest will be small squares within squares, or strips of fabric. I think this project is just what I needed and I'm really happy to be excited about seeing how it comes out.

Running Chickens...can't see where he's headed yet. And...

Kitty without a mouth, only temporary.

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

So clever! I just love it. It is so "Kathy" and yet very bright and fresh with the colors. Great job. (Love Ipcar too, of course.)

HollyM said...

This is just wonderful, and I love the colors! I will have to check out the author. I have always liked whatever you have done and I think you are very creative. There is a wonderful playful quality to your critters.

Kate c. said...

kathy's Baaaack!
love it lover it love it.
dahlov would too, I think.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Love it love it love it! And I recognize those fabrics..... as for leaving the studio pristine to show the house...hang that! When we listed our last house I told the realtor that it is simply a working studio. THe prospective buyers can see everything else "perfect" but they'd have to just cope when it came to the studio! Hugs, Sarah