Monday, June 06, 2011

A new little wren, done on a scrap of silk picked up at the landfill. I'm still working on the rest of the background so no pictures of that part yet. Maybe later. I do love the way these little birds hold their tails so straight up in the air. I'm trying to learn the different sounds the birds make, but I don't seem to be able to keep them straight. I remember the easy ones, cardinals, jays, ospreys, the ovenbird, chickadees, and maybe even a house wren, but the warblers, vireos, the sweet little titmouses and nuthatches I can't keep in my brain. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it does make it a bit more enjoyable to know which birds are talking to me or scolding me for getting too close. After a long, cold, quiet winter, it's so nice to have these singers back.

4 comments:

HollyM said...

I don't know how you do it; you just seem to have the touch. Your little birds always have such character.The wren is so sweet.
I too am learning the songs. My son did his thesis on songbirds and can recognize them all. I learned the nuthatch because we can feed them from our hands in winter, and now I can recognize the hummingbird as they are all around the feeder when I'm in my garden. It's all fascinating to me.

Joanne S said...

I echo the first comment--you get the bird "just right". My son's first master's thesis in college was to write a computer program for identifying bird song (Cornell). It didn't go well (with a partner) and so he did something else after wasting an entire semester on this. I wonder if Cornell ever got someone to write a bird song program?

Anonymous said...

That little bird is filled with personality. I love it.

I have a friend who can mimic bird calls and has birds flying to her. I'm just trying to learn the calls so I'll know who is in the tree.

Marken

www.vrushtechnology.com said...

It’s a good knowledge sharing website. I appreciated your work and knowledge. Thank for this. Website Designing and Development Company Ahmedabad