Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I've Forgotten all the Rules

I didn't think I'd ever forget sizes. And how to figure out fabric needs. Or more importantly, how to DRAFT a pattern. I've been stymied on how to start this quilt, procrastinating because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me that I didn't just dig in and GO. And then I realized I didn't remember how to do a REAL BEDSIZE QUILT! Or a 'traditional' (as traditional as I can get) quilt. I've been working too long on free-flow ideas and construction, never sitting down and drawing something out before I begin. I just cut fabric and throw it on and if it doesn't look good I take it off and throw something else on. So I have an idea in my head and I'm going on a wing and an prayer and hope it all comes out in the wash....oh yeah, I've had to WASH all these fabrics first too. How long has it been since I've done THAT!

I have the first square pieced, along with the dark borders that will separate every different sized square. This one is about 12" by 18". You can see the photograph I went by in the upper left corner.

The lighting is bad, taken at the end of a very long day, but I think you can get the idea they're very steep mountains and an orange tent by a lake. The part that hangs down on the sides (I'm sure there's a technical name that eludes me) will be about 20"by90" and will look like this:

Just a row of wonky trees made from all the fabrics used in the quilt. We'll see.

No comments: