Saturday, March 24, 2007

New Projects and Inspiration

This is my new project. Knitting a sweater for me. I don't trust making one for someone that may be disappointed if it comes out not quite the right size, or a little lopsided. But for this one time, I'm determined to do it the right way, so much so I've already ripped part of it out once, emailed the designer once with questions, and know I need to rip some out on the other finished side. The designer, Jill Vosburg, was very helpful and very patient with a neophite like me. The funny thing is, I'm not really new at knitting. My mother taught me when I was 8? But I've always knit "my way", meaning never EVER taking time to do a test guage square. Duh. Making changes to a pattern because I like it "this way instead". I guess that's okay if you know what you're doing. :)

So hopefully, before too long I'll have a finished product to show.

I'm so surprised to see that crocheting is also making a big comeback. I have an afghan, (or 'african' as Stephen King calls it in his new book Lisey's Story) that was made by my Aunt Maddie and given to us as a wedding present. But the one I wish I had was one I grew up with. It was beautiful multicolored squares surrounded by black. It was always on the back of the couch and when I was home sick from school it would entertain me for hours, just looking at the color arrangements. Nice memory. Hope everyone has one of those special memories.

5 comments:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Good for you! I have been knitting socks and baby hats, but I have a sweater pattern for "some day". I love the pattern, so eventually I will get brave enough to tackle it.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Those are called Granny Squares...the edged in black. I think my gramma had one too..... LOVE them! Hmmm... maybe I could do that with myleftover yarn???? Guess they are too much different weights...the yarns.....

The color is awesome!
Hugs, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh Kathy - I remember that afghan too! Always loved it as well....wonder what ever happened to it? Probably worn out from use and making people feel better! Didn't Mary Nixon (name?) crochet that white one for your Mom while she was living there? Wow - where did THAT memory appear from!

Anonymous said...

oops - that was from Martha

Deborah Boschert said...

All the young crafty mommy bloggers are busy doing Granny Squares! Everything old is new again. I am loving the purple sweater! Can't wait to see more.