Monday, March 19, 2007

Signs of Spring

When I was younger and my kids were little I worked with my friend Loel in her nursery school. Every spring she would send the kids away at the end of the day with the assignment of looking for 'signs of spring'. I still do it. All by myself. And besides the first crocus, first pussywillows, first green grass, there are three BIG ones I look for in anticipated excitement. We've got number one:

Tapping the maples. I particularly love this stand of maple trees with the real old fashioned buckets attached, not the new efficient plastic kind with the tubing attached to each one.

They line the road for a good stretch, with this beautiful old stone wall running behind it. Quintessential New England in spring.

Numbers two and three are a ways off yet. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat! I've never seen this done before.