Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Tulips




Here is a piece I finished a month or so ago. I say finished, but after a critique from my Frayed Edges friends, there's one more thing I need to do. Bring this line of white seed stitches down about another inch or so.

I'm really loving using grays for a ground (as I did in Tilly). It makes any other colors used 'pop'. The flowers are pieced with hand dyes and then enhanced with some fabric paints. I'm waiting patiently for my tulips outside to pop...but Mother Nature has given us back the liquid lake so it won't be long before the spots of snow in the woods will disappear too.

3 comments:

HollyM said...

As usual, I love your style. What a lovely piece. I agree with your group on the white stitches. It will be likely be another month before our tulips bloom. We are expecting 15cm of snow and freezing rain to-night.

Joanne S said...

Spring every other day. We got spoiled in the two years we actually had Spring in April.

I like this piece also. Contemplative and even a bit Zen. David Walker gave me a piece of advice (I try to follow) of never starting a line without finishing it. In this piece everything is going up and down and you need a "sitting" line for the vases to rest upon. Perhaps that extra inch or two of tiny stitches in a darker color?

Karen M said...

This is so beautiful! I love the delicate look of the blossoms.